God Wears Heart-Shaped Glasses (And You Should Too!)

God Wears Heart-Shaped Glasses (And You Should Too!)

This weekend was rough.

As I pushed and pushed and pushed with every ounce of myself for funds last week, as the weekend came, I found myself stuck in this rut of self-doubt and lack of motivation.

I began to think of myself as a lost cause- tearing myself down because I was constantly coming up short of my goals.

Worst of all, I was not only doubting myself, but I began to doubt the Father.

At training camp, everything was so clear. I was hearing the Lord speak to me in new ways that I never had before. His plan for me and my calling to a life on mission seemed to be displayed on neon billboards and flashing lights, all as obnoxiously flashy as an amusement park. But it was there. It was finally obvious enough for me to comprehend. For the first time my eyes, hands and heart were wide open- it finally all made sense.

But have you ever seen an abandoned amusement park?

The colors have faded, the lights are off, and all the rides are out of order. All the parts are there, but the joy is gone.

That’s where I was at.

My problem was, I was wandering around, expecting things to change. Expecting the joy and happiness and motivation to come back if I stood there long enough.

(and I know I’m not the only one who does this.)

We stand around waiting for God to be a magician or genie that will snap his fingers and clap his hands to refocus our eyes.

The reality is- the amusement park in our minds is never really abandoned.

God still sees each and every color, bright as ever. The lights are still flashing in his eyes. The rides are whirling, twirling, and full of laughter.

THE JOY IS THERE EVEN WHEN WE CHOOSE NOT TO SEE IT.

Let me say that one more time. (A little louder for the people in the back.)

The joy is still there, even when we choose not to see it.

I’ve got this image in my mind of God. He’s wearing these glasses. They’re heaven’s prescription love glasses- He never takes them off.

(Please tell me I’m not the only one picturing Morgan Freeman in heart shaped sunglasses… It’s not weird, I promise.)

Now, every moment of every day, we have the option to wear the same prescription love glasses that God does- but He doesn’t force us to.

When we do so, we see through His eyes- the flashy, colorful, joyful side of life.

When we don’t, we only harm ourselves. Nothing seems good enough. We throw ourselves pity parties.

This weekend, I took off my rose-colored glasses because life got difficult. Today, I’ve put them back on.

Guess what?! YOU CAN DO IT TO!

Come on, do it. Put on those crazy heart-shaped love glasses. Trust me , you’ll feel great.

You’ll find joy in that half-melted smoothie you’re drinking and the pants you’ve been wearing for three days and the fact that your hair is that millimeter too short to put in a bun- because the Father loves it all the same. (real talk y’all.)

But you’ll also find joy in the hard stuff, like the fact that your fundraising deadline is Friday and you’re still $1,700 short, because you can look back and realize that you’ve already been blessed with over $8,000. (also real talk.)

So do it with me, and watch how quickly the lights click on and the colors come back.

I encourage every single person reading this to leave a comment below telling me (and everyone else reading!!) the things- big things and small things- that you’re joyful for. If you’d like, you can type your name in as “Anonymous”. I promise, it won’t hurt my feelings!

(Don’t forget to leave your joy below!)

Hayds

Originally posted on haydenschwarting.theworldrace.org

Share:

10 Comments

1. Jenn
    Author
    October 19, 2017 / 4:46 pm

My joy is in you. My joy is seeing you live out the Father’s will for your life. My joy is in your mom, your dad and your siblings. My joy is in my husband. My stepdaughter. My mom. My pops. My brother and sisters and my nieces and nephews. My joy is in my friends.
    My joy is in the Lord. ….even when things (appear) to go wrong, I’ll still praise Him. Even when it hurts… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrSJwO5dJXg I love you, kiddo! Keep trusting Him. Keep your glasses on!!! <3 <3 <3

2. YO MOMMA
    October 19, 2017 / 4:47 pm

My joy is found in God’s reassuring presence in the exact moments I doubt. All day today my mind has been on “Joy”. Sitting at my office I’ve been reading scriptures on JOY, designing my new tattoo (based on Psalm 30:5!), and even coloring Bible verse cards on JOY! I woke up this morning with JOY consuming me. Your post is just another confirmation that my joy is found in Him… that He delights in His people and crowns the humble with victory (Psalm 149:4)!!!
    My big joy is found in the uniqueness of my family- that despite our, shall I say, dysfunctions, we are grounded in love. My small joy is found in my job- one that I love more than I could ever imagine, and one that HE clearly had to orchestrate.
    It’s not a cliché to say “He doesn’t call the equipped, He equips the called”.
    Ephesians 3:20, Now all glory to God, who is able, through His mighty power at work within US, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.

3. Cathy Yarmosh Gough
    October 19, 2017 / 4:48 pm

I am totally in love with you! You bless me!

4. Tracy LoAlbo
    October 19, 2017 / 4:49 pm

I am full of joy for my health and being able to wake up each and everyday knowing that His mercies are new every morning. I am joyful that I have a family who loves and honors the Lord even though we all fall short each and everyday. I am joyful that my son met Hayden on his mission trip this year and that I am able to share in her joy and the lessons that she is teaching me through her honesty and authenticity!! I will choose to wear my rose colored glasses and view things through God’s lenses.

5. Lori Stamey
    October 19, 2017 / 4:49 pm

Thanks for your blog! I needed to read that today. I read it because I know Abigail Mullis and she shared it on her FB page. I find great joy in watching young people get excited about missions! My son, Drew, did the World Race Gap Year 2 years ago and had such a wonderful experience. I pray that the same will be true for you and your team! Praying for the Lord to surprise you with ALL that you need financially in order to be able to launch on time with your team. I know He will provide! Blessings!

6. KATHLEEN DOCKERY DELONE
    October 19, 2017 / 4:50 pm

Just sent u a donation. It’s not showing up on ur total yet. Keep those glasses on. Your mom was one of the coolest girls I ever met back in college. Glad the apple hasn’t fallen far from her tree.

7. Hailey Bryant
    October 19, 2017 / 4:50 pm

I totally thought of Morgan Freeman, you’re not the only one hahah. I find joy in The Lord’s beautiful creations, the people he created and especially sunsets. I find joy in the messy moments of life that are honestly humorous. I find joy in knowing The Lord has me exactly where he wants me to be. Love this Hayden, can’t wait to follow your journey. It will be a good one, The Lord is faithful through it all even when we lose sight of Him. xo Hailey

8. Kate
    October 19, 2017 / 4:51 pm

My joy is found in fresh revelation of God’s goodness. When He wrecks my walls of comparison and self pity and invites me to walk in the joy of the uniqueness He’s created me with I get big ‘ole heart sunglasses handed to me and my whole world LIGHTS UP. Everything becomes possible.

Also, twirling. Twirling always brings me joy.

9. Casey
    October 19, 2017 / 4:51 pm

My joy is in being around big bodies of water and little celebrations, like sparklers! I loved this blog and how real you were!

10. Ron and Darla Campbell
    October 19, 2017 / 4:51 pm

Hayden, Loved this blog! So many things bring us joy but we absolutely love exploring, seeing and experiencing new things. We see God in so many ways through His creation!! Love you and see you in Thailand!!